The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has recently announced 15 vacancies for the post of Stenographer in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. This recruitment drive is a great opportunity for candidates looking to work with the central government. A stenographer is responsible for transcribing speech into written or electronic text using shorthand or stenotype machines. Their key responsibilities include attending meetings to record minutes, transcribing audio recordings, and providing real-time captioning services. Stenographers play a vital role in ensuring efficient office communication and maintaining records.
Table of Contents
The key details of the CPWD Stenographer Recruitment 2024 are:
|Central Public Works Department (CPWD)
|Besant Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Maximum 56 years
|Written test and/or interview
|Last date to apply
|16th February 2024
Eligible candidates can apply online at cpwd.gov.in. This is a great opportunity for 12th-pass candidates looking for a stenographer job with the central government.
The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) is the premier construction agency of the Government of India. It is responsible for major construction works and maintenance of central government buildings across the country. If you are looking for a stable government job related to civil engineering and construction management, CPWD can be a great option. In this article, we will provide an overview of CPWD, its recruitment process, and other key details for job aspirants in 2024.
Overview of Central Public Works Department
- CPWD was established in 1854 to carry out construction works for the British government in India. After independence, it was retained by the Government of India.
- It functions under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs and is headed by a Director General.
- CPWD is divided into zones and circles for administrative purposes. There are 7 zones – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bhopal, Chandigarh, and Lucknow.
- It constructs and maintains government office buildings, courts, parliament house, Rashtrapati Bhavan, minister’s residences, central police forces buildings etc.
- CPWD also takes up projects for other ministries, public sector undertakings, and autonomous bodies on a deposit basis.
- It is the largest construction agency in India with an annual budget of over ₹25,000 crores.
- CPWD employs over 35,000 employees in technical and non-technical cadres.
CPWD Recruitment 2024
CPWD recruits candidates every year for various technical and non-technical posts such as Junior Engineers, Assistant Engineers, Architects, Horticulturists, Draftsmen, Technical Officers etc.
The key details regarding CPWD recruitment in 2024 are:
- Posts: Junior Engineers (Civil/Electrical), Assistant Engineers (Civil/Electrical), Assistant Architect, Horticulturist etc. Total vacancies may be around 500.
- Eligibility: Degree/Diploma in relevant field based on post. Age limit varies from 18 to 30 years.
- Selection Process: Written Test and/or Interview
- Notification Release: Between January – March 2024
- Exam Date: May – July 2024
How to Apply for CPWD Recruitment 2024?
CPWD invites online applications from eligible candidates. Here are the steps to apply:
- Visit the official CPWD website www.cpwd.gov.in
- Go to the ‘Recruitment’ section and click on the link for the relevant post.
- Read the official notification carefully to check eligibility, vacancies etc.
- Click on the ‘Apply Online’ link and register yourself by providing basic details.
- Log in using your registration details and fill the application form.
- Upload scanned documents such as photograph, signature, certificates etc.
- Pay the application fee online using credit/debit card, net banking etc.
- Submit the form and print the confirmation page for future reference.
CPWD Recruitment 2024: Application Process Explained
The CPWD application process involves the following steps:
Step 1: Registration
Candidates need to register themselves by providing details like name, email ID, mobile number and creating a password.
Step 2: Filling Application Form
In this step, candidates need to provide their personal, education, and experience details as required in the form.
Step 3: Uploading Documents
Scanned copies of photographs, signatures, age proof, and education certificates need to be uploaded. The specified size and format must be followed.
Step 4: Payment of Fee
Application fees can be paid online through credit/debit card, UPI, net banking, etc. The fee is exempted for reserved category candidates.
Step 5: Final Submission
Candidates must preview the form carefully before final submission. No changes can be made after this step.
Step 6: Print Confirmation Page
On successful submission, candidates can print the confirmation page which needs to be produced during document verification.
CPWD Recruitment 2024: Selection Process
CPWD conducts a one or two-stage selection process depending on the post:
For Junior Engineer:
- Written Exam (200 marks objective MCQs)
- Document Verification
For Assistant Engineer/ Architect/ Horticulturist:
- Written Exam
The written exam tests technical knowledge, general awareness, and reasoning ability. Candidates need to score minimum qualifying marks in the written test to get shortlisted for the next stage.
Final selection is done based on combined performance in the written test and/or interview. Selected candidates are appointed as Junior Engineer/Assistant Engineer and posted across various CPWD circles.